Startseite | Kontakt | Impressum | Stadtplan | Sitemap | Textversion | Mobile WebSite | Datenschutz   

Tourismus, Freizeit & Sport

Aktuelles & Veranstaltungen Rathaus & Verwaltung Leben in Hollfeld Tourismus, Freizeit & Sport Kunst & Kultur Wirtschaft, Bauen & Umwelt
Prospekt anfordern Sehenswürdigkeiten Freizeitangebote & Sport Unterkünfte & Quartiersuche Stadtführung & Gruppenreisen Service vor Ort

The Churches of Hollfeld

Mariä Himmelfahrt Church

Throughout the last 300 years, the parish church has been repeatedly destroyed and rebuilt. After the big town fire in 1724, which destroyed the church and also the vicarage, the church was completely refurbished, but the church’s condition got worse instead of better, so in 1777 they decided to build a new church. It was rebuilt between 1778 and 1781 and was finished on 16th June 1781, however the consecration of the church wasn’t until 10th September 1826. The church Mariä Himmelfahrt has great examples of impressive Franconian architecture.

St. Salvator Church

The founding of the Salvatorkirche dates back to the early Middle Ages. It’s the oldest church in Hollfeld and used to be located outside of the town wall. At that time, the church belonged to the Diocese of Würzburg. The parish “Holevelt” was established in 1017.
The décor of the church has mainly been designed and made by the Lauter family (who were carpenters). Between 1670 and 1780, three generations worked on the superb decoration. Their work can also be seen in the towns Vierzehnheiligen, Nankendorf and Weismain. Johann Lauter created the altarpiece in 1705. The artist of the Sebastiansstatue isn’t known, but it was created around 1520. The ceiling of the sanctuary is completely decorated with beautiful paintings.
The Salvatorkirche can be visited between 8am and 7pm. Between May and June there are still today pilgrimages to the Salvatorkirche in Hollfeld.

The Bartholomäusspital

In 1464 Werner from Aufseß founded the Bartholomäusspital, for sick and poor people. This church also used to be located outside of the town wall. In 1664 the building, that still stands today, was built and in 1709 the chapel was added. The Mayor of Hollfeld, Lorenz Schmötzer, died in 1837 and left everything to the hospital. In his will he stated that poor and old people, who had a good reputation and were still mobile could be looked after in the hospital. Masses were also to be held there regularly.

After the First World War, refugees were housed in the Bartholomäusspital, since then it hasn’t been used. Although since 1978 the biggest room in the hospital has been used by the Town Council as a boardroom. The Bartholomäusspital was also renovated during the time of urban redevelopment in Hollfeld.